harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [buildtest] moving the testing infrastructure forward
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:36:54 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> <lots of stuff agreed with incl. Geir's clarifications>
>>> Yes - each should actually be broken up into sequences :
>>> 1)  classlib -> update/build and then unit tests using j9 (IMO) to test
>>> classlib in isolation of changes from DRLVM.  It used to be that way
>>> IIRC.
>> classlib is still buildable and testable right in the working directory
>> with the IBM VME in place.  That is what the IBM build machines are
>> currently doing and reporting to the commit list.
> Of course.  Stefano is talking about the larger-scale sequence run by
> our own build test.
> I think that this step using J9 is critical, having that known-good VM
> as the first test of the classlib.

hmmm, the problem with this is that J9 with harmony hooks is not
available for all the platforms that harmony currently supports and Tim
suggested that it's not a 'build and forget' thing to do.

That said, I completely agree that where J9 harmony-flavored is
available, we should definitely use it and where it's not, we should ask
with pretty pleeze on top for IBM to consider making one for the
platform we are testing. <hint hint ;-)>

Now, J9 aside, how do we move it forward? Is there anybody working on
this already? I would hate to do work that gets then donated as a patch
three minutes before I'm done.

View raw message