harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][shutdown] How to cleanup resources safely?
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:15:11 GMT
Evgueni Brevnov wrote:

>> > As it was discussed earlier (and I think agreed) the System.exit()
>> > should terminate entire process the VM is running in right after it
>> > executed shutdown hooks and finalizes.
>>
>> I don't think so.  How could you embed the VM in another program?
>
> My initial understanding was that System.exit() shouldn't terminate
> the process. But the experiments proved the opposite. AFAIU if you
> want to embed the application then it should not call System.exit().

I was surprised to see the results of you experiment too -- I'd have
failed that Java pop-quiz question!

> I don't see any problems to extend the proposal to the case of
> System.exit() so that the process will not be stopped. But, do we want
> such incompatibility with RI?

No, we can't change that -- if people expect the program to exit() it we
will see hangs everywhere.  As somebody (I forget) wrote at the time, it
becomes the responsibility of the app to set the security policy to
disallow exit() if they expect the Process to live on.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)