harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Hawtin <tackl...@tackline.plus.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][kernel_classes] ThreadLocal vulnerability
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:32:40 GMT
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Thomas Hawtin wrote:
>
>> Some modern code,
>> such as I believe Spring, creates many ThreadLocal instances, so you may
>> wish to look further at quality of implementation issues.
>
> Ack -- thanks.  What do you call "many"?   100's? 1,000s? more?

Good question. Googling tends to just pick up ThreadLocals assigned to
static finals, which aren't so much of an issue. However, a private
e-mail from someone well known for threading work contains: "There are
web/EE applications that generate massive numbers (up to millions) of
ThreadLocals (most are per-instance, not statics), some of which quickly
become garbage and must be reclaimed reasonably promptly...".

Tom Hawtin