harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][kernel_classes] ThreadLocal vulnerability
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:59:57 GMT
Thomas Hawtin wrote:
> I had a quick browse through the Harmony SVN and spotted what appears to
> be a vulnerability in the java.lang.ThreadLocal implementation. I have
> briefly discussed this with Tim Ellison and Geir Magnusson Jr., off list
> before posting here.

Yep, and I'll say again publicly, thank you for looking through the code
so carefully, and taking the time to report your findings.

> Harmony uses a per Thread HashMap (WeakHashMap in classlibadapter) to
> map ThreadLocals onto values. HashMaps (should) check for equality with
> Object.equals and Object.hashCode instead of == and
> System.identityHashCode.

As you correctly point out, Harmony's implementation of
java.lang.ThreadLocal [2] delegates storing the thread local values to
the instance of java.lang.Thread to which they apply.

In Harmony the implementation of Thread is a kernel type, provided
separately by each VM.

The code in classlibadapter [1] was an experiment to map between the
Harmony kernel types and GNU Classpath's VM interface types.  That work
is not in current usage, and is not being actively maintained.

The current active kernel code in Harmony is the DRLVM.  Looking at
DRLVM's version of Thread here [3], it uses a (non-weak) HashMap like this:

    void setThreadLocal(ThreadLocal<Object> local, Object value) {
        if (localValues == null) {
            localValues = new HashMap<ThreadLocal<Object>, Object>();
        }
        localValues.put(local, value);
    }

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlibadapter/trunk/modules/kernel/src/main/java/java/lang/Thread.java?view=markup
[2]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/luni/src/main/java/java/lang/ThreadLocal.java?revision=451251&view=markup
[3]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/kernel_classes/javasrc/java/lang/Thread.java?revision=471005&view=markup

> Malicious subclasses of ThreadLocal can override hashCode to run through
> all possible hash codes, extracting all the ThreadLocals present in the
> may contain sensitive values. Even if Harmony generates identity hash
> codes entirely at random, the process should be completable in the order
> of a few minutes of CPU time.
>
> Tim Ellison suggests replacing the HashMap with an IdentityHashMap. I
> agree that this would fix the security vulnerability.

Anyone else care to comment on this as a proposed fix?

> Some modern code,
> such as I believe Spring, creates many ThreadLocal instances, so you may
> wish to look further at quality of implementation issues.

Ack -- thanks.  What do you call "many"?   100's? 1,000s? more?

> FWIW, I believe early versions of Sun's 1.3 J2SE suffered a similar
> problem.

Regards,
Tim

--