harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [x86_64] builds! now onto the tests
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:26:57 GMT
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> I'm happy to report that both classlib and drlvm at r474892 build on
>> x86_64/em64t
>>
>> As Gregory suggested, I had to change the symlinks to from
>> /usr/lib/lib(jpeg|png).a to /usr/lib/lib(jpeg|png).so in order for the
>> link to avoid complaining.
>
> Well Geir insists that we should know what we are linking against, so he
> prefers static libraries. I don't like it very much (it is contrary to
> Gentoo way :) which is to link against anything which is installed on
> the system by the user) but I can understand this POV.
>
> The problem is that on many distributions static libs are built without
> -fPIC and while on x86 it may still work ok, on x86_64 it definitely
> doesn't work. So if we decide that we should use static linking we'll
> have to check in prebuilt the binaries into classlib source tree just
> like we did with ICU (although ICU libraries are dynamic, not shared). I
> see no other way to do static linking.

I see. I wouldn't mind that. Both libpng and libjpeg seem to have an
apache-compatible license.

We already fetch java binary dependencies, it's not unreasonable to have
a OS/CPU-based fetching of native statically built binaries as well
since they are not going to change that much anyway over time.

--
Stefano.