harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Robin Garner <robin.gar...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: [design] class unloading: Secondary root set
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:59:06 GMT
Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Robin,
>
> I have read your description of "secondary root set" approach, and found it the same
as
> "finalization-like" approach discussed by Etienne and me earlier.
>
> I think you have missed one point: after retracing from secondary root set once,
> more classloaders may be found reachable, so this step needs to be repeated until
> convergence (to obtain the closure of reachability with additional links Object->Class,
> served through vtable marks).
>
> Can you reread two proposals and merge the text into one section?
> I can do it, but want first to make sure we have common understanding.

My proposal doesn't require steps (2) although VM->ClassLaoder
references are weak, and (5), because the trace from the vtable roots is
no different fromthe standard GC trace.

You could alternately say that I'm simply refining your approach.  Yes,
they are structurally very similar - if you agree with my refinements,
feel free to merge them.

--
Robin Garner
Dept. of Computer Science