harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jvmti][testing] I want to add JVMTI tests to drlvm commit checks
Date Sat, 11 Nov 2006 21:39:36 GMT

Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 23:24 Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> That's an understatement.  Don't feel bad.  I've never seen anything
>> like it before.  The idea of generating ant scripts on teh fly is very
>> unconventional.

>> You don't have enough cuts and bruises from working with the DRLVM build :)
>
> Ok I think I've come up with a reasonable compromise. I still used the whole
> system of converting XML and all the stuff. It does quite a lot of things in
> setup and init targets and using <select> is convenient. I don't know how to
> untangle all of the setup and not do a lot of duplication in ant scripting
> which I am not big expert in.

Why?  Why do we want to persist with this system, when WE ARE GOING TO
GET RID OF IT at some point?

> But I managed to cut away the loop over components looking at how "test"
> target in build.xml is written. I've also converted smoke.test target to the
> same way because both jvmti and smoke tests are meant for a whole VM, not
> some component of it. This also made a weird bug go away when of smoke tests
> were built and run in some random subdirectory of "semis" instead of being
> in "vm" when they were ran separately as "build smoke.test".

Did you also fix the silliness of having to use annotations to exclude
tests?  Please? :)

> Tests should be in their own subdirectories (main test inclusion/exclusion
> loop is done over them), main Java class for application has to be equal to
> have package and name equal to its subdirectory. Otherwise the build system
> won't know what to run. Other files may have any kind of names.
>
> I wrote one simple JVMTI test to start the suite. Other tests which I've
> experimented with I cannot submit because I didn't write them. I think
> they'll appear later from JIRAs like one in HARMONY-2143 which were submitted
> to ASF. Take a look at HARMONY-2151 and say what you think. If I don't get
> much opposition I'll commit the patch on this weekend.
>
> Don't shoot me. Writing even that much of Ant took a lot of time, beer and
> hair on my head. I said I am not an ant guru, didn't I?

I'm glad we have these tests, but really...  I wish you hadn't invested
the time integrating it into the DRLVM build system...

geir