harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] Sun will take GPL License?
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 15:27:58 GMT

Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
> On 11/10/06, Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org> wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. <geir <at> pobox.com> writes:
>>
>> > Classically, licensors seem to just make a statement about it.
>>
>> Yup, authors should know best what terms apply to their works.
>> Practically
>> speaking, if they went with the GPL, Sun could just say "it's not
>> 'viral' for
>> all the practical purposes" and that would be the quick end of any scary
>> problem, I guess.
>
> IMHO, there can be still scary problems if some parts of the code are
> covered by patents even if the code is licensed by GPL v2. Am I
> correct?

http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/geir/archives/001433_open_source_java_v_gpl_and_patents.html

However, once you pass the TCK, you do receive all necessary IP from the
members of the EG.

This isn't a worry for us at all, but it will be interesting to see -
once we know the definite details - how this will work out.  Clearly Sun
has thought hard about this.  I don't expect them to make any mistakes
here - all implications will be intentional.

geir