harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [Japi] Re: [Fwd: Re: Interesting discoveries playing around with japitools]
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:04:12 GMT

Stuart Ballard wrote:

> Japitools isn't affiliated with Classpath btw, I had Classpath in mind
> when I originally developed it, yes, and it's GPL licensed because I
> have a mild preference for that license, but I don't feel strongly
> about it. One of the reasons I started a Japitools list in fact was to
> try to have some neutral ground for discussions to avoid any
> perception (or, even worse, reality) that Harmony had any kind of
> second class status.

For what it's worth, I don't care that it's under the GPL, and I don't
care where it's hosted, or what community it's associated with.

I'm really glad that you create the program, and really appreciative
that you generously spend your time also analyzing the harmony code base.

I think of Japitools as one of the first bridges between the two
communities, and it's encouraging for me that it's there and thriving.

> While I admit that coming from the Classpath side of the fence
> originally, I have mixed feelings about whether the licensing
> differences were actually worth starting a whole separate project for.
> But Harmony exists and I hope it succeeds, just as I hope Classpath
> succeeds. More interoperable implementations can't hurt. And the
> "interoperable" part is where Japitools comes in.

Agreed - more open source java is good!

> So can we all play nice? ;)

Yes :)