harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Interesting discoveries playing around with japitools]
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 14:35:29 GMT

David Gilbert wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>

>> Sun using the GPL is a boon for Classpath, so good for them - I'm not
>> sure how they can actually use the Sun code, as Sun won't be granting
>> copyright assignment to the FSF as GNU Classpath requires, and it's
>> under a different license (not the GPL + Exception), but I'm sure
>> they'll work something out.
>>
>> geir
>>
> A boon?  Not at all, Classpath will be (mostly) redundant and will fade
> away, replaced by Sun's runtime.

I'm not so convinced of that.  GNU Classpath is under GPL + Exception,
so arguably it's not viral to things that link with it.

While this is sheer speculation because we haven't seen anything yet, if
Sun goes with the GPL, they won't have such feature in the license.

Also, I think the copyright assignment requirement will be a big deal.

> But as I said elsewhere, that's a good
> outcome if all you are interested in is a good quality free / open
> source runtime to run Java applications on...and I'm not after anything
> more than that.

Understood.  For me, an additional requirement is an open and level
community, where all participants are working together under exactly the
same terms. (Which is where GNU Classpath will be different than what I
understand the Sun model will be)

geir