harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Interesting discoveries playing around with japitools]
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:53:55 GMT

David Gilbert wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>

>> The only real issue that we had is license incompatibility, but I
>> thought there was goodwill everywhere to work where we could.
>>

> Why don't we be honest and just admit that there is no goodwill between
> the projects?  It was there, briefly, but now it is gone.  There's no
> collaboration, there's no cooperation...just two separate projects
> implementing the same API.  It is the way it is, and the world is moving
> on...but let's stop pretending.

I'm not pretending.  Many of us have goodwill - this project is a
collection of collaborating individuals.  We don't have an "Official
Harmony Position" on GNU Classpath or any other project, just like I
don't think that GNU Classpath has any official position about Harmony.
  We can't work together directly because of licensing.  We've been
heads down with our own work - we know a lot more now, so maybe we can
find places to start discussion again.

I support what the GNU Classpath people are trying to do, although I
choose not to directly participate there.  Sun using the GPL is a boon
for Classpath, so good for them - I'm not sure how they can actually use
the Sun code, as Sun won't be granting copyright assignment to the FSF
as GNU Classpath requires, and it's under a different license (not the
GPL + Exception), but I'm sure they'll work something out.

geir