harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] Sun will take GPL License?
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:35:23 GMT

David Gilbert wrote:
> No, and probably by design.  If this is true, Sun's Java will fill the
> niche market for free-as-in-freedom runtimes, making it very hard for
> Harmony (and GNU Classpath) to find an audience.  But if all you want is
> a free-as-in-freedom runtime, then the outcome is still great!

I dunno.  Maybe.

I think that in order to really work for the "free-as-in-stallman" ;)
community, someone will have to literally fork sun's GPL-ed
implementation, as I'm guessing GPL advocates will want to be able to
contribute / augment / maintain the codebase, but not allow Sun to
re-license their contributions under commercial terms.

This is only a guess.  I can't speak for GPL advocates, nor am I sure
what Sun will do in the end wrt community and governance.

No matter what, it won't be boring.

geir