harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] Sun will take GPL License?
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:31:52 GMT

Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> Java under GPL? It is probably bad news for Java developers...
>
> As far as I understand you'll can not create non GPL application on
> top of GPL Java...
> License gurus, is that right?

It's a good question, but remember that Sun will be creating binaries
and probably distributing them under the same kinds of binary licenses
they do today - the majority of Java users don't give a hoot if the
source is licensed under the GPL - they just care about getting a binary.

That said, you still have other groups - say the Debian community - that
might want to get a TCK license and certify the codebase themselves.
They'd have to distribute the resulting binary under a GPL-compatible
license.

GPL proponents claim that there is no problem running under a GPL-ed VM,
but given aspects such as JNI and such, I do wonder if that's simply
wishful thinking.

geir