harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] Sun will take GPL License?
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:28:53 GMT
It's somewhat of a no-op, IMO.

Sun had a very difficult decision to make wrt licensing.  They had quite
a few competing forces to deal with such as :

1) How to try maintain whatever 'control' over compatibility they
currently have.  (I do think this is just them "fighting the last war",
as I do believe the market wants compatible Java and nothing else.)

2) How to try and keep the licensing revenue for the class library for
those (like IBM) that get the classlibrary under commercial terms that
allow proprietary implementations

3) How to build as many bridges to the open source community as they can

So my theory has been that Sun's business goal was to build a "walled
garden" for it's users, customers and ISV partners.  I'm pretty sure
that like with Glassfish and OpenSolaris, Sun will require that
contributors grant Sun joint copyright for any contribution, allowing
Sun to relicense (read "sell") the codebase under terms favorable to
proprietary implementations.  I think that this aspect will prevent
participation both from organizations that wouldn't want to have to
purchase their contributions back from Sun as well as Free Software
advocates that don't want to write software for proprietary implementations.

It will be interesting to see how it works out.

geir