harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] General stability
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 01:51:22 GMT

Fedotov, Alexei A wrote:
> Alexey Petrenko wrote,
>> The only release I can imagine is Harmony Java5SE 100% compatible.
>> To be Java5SE 100% compatible we need TCK first.
>
> +1

Yes - and I still think that talk of a release is a bit premature right now.

The key things that I believe we need to focus on are

  a) stability and

  b) completeness.

  c) reliability (which may be 'stability')

(and not always in that order :)

Things I'd like to see us do :

1)  We need to drive to fully working unit tests for both DRLVM and
classlib  (using DRLVM).  Great progress has been made in this area, and
  we should probably make this a "campaign" for DRLVM as we did for
classlib.

2) Add stress tests

3) Get our CC-based build-test framework patched and running on as many
platforms as possible, reporting breakage into the list.

4) Identify problem areas and focus on them.  For example, threading in
DRLVM...

I do think of us having a 'zero regression' policy except in cases where
we make the explicit decision to break.  (like we did with TM, for example)

> I hesitate to say that again, but we also need to decide about VM we
> will use for that release. I like the following mission: "Class library
> and DRLVM pass TCK on Ubuntu 6". I'm open for any other mission which is
> challenging, understandable and short enough.

Well, we'll need Windows XP and RHEL as well.