harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Interesting discoveries playing around with japitools
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 04:30:30 GMT
Stuart Ballard wrote:
> I've been following this thread as best I can from the archives.

eheh, good luck with that. (I'm keeping you copied so that it's easier
for you to follow)

> I suspect the results you're getting were from the last release of
> Japitools. I can't blame you for this - I ought to have made a new one
> long ago - but the last release has a bunch of known bugs compared to
> the current code. In particular the last release should definitely not
> be used for anything where 1.5 language features are present.

ah-ha! awesome, I'll try that later.

> The latest CVS code should be vastly improved; if you try this and
> you're still seeing unexplained discrepancies, please let me know.

oh, rest assure I will :-)

> I'm planning to bundle up the current code into a new release in the
> next few days, and I'm also revamping the website with the intention
> to make it clear that the CVS code exists and is generally
> recommended. (The very-much-work-in-progress new site can be seen at
> http://sab39.netreach.com/japi).

very cool, a much needed revamp, if you ask me ;-)

If you need some CSS/webdesign skills, I'll be happy to give a hand.

> One particular issue of note, because it concerns an issue that I just
> (re)discovered on the Classpath results also: QName appears to trigger
> an ecj bug in certain versions which produces an invalid class file by
> incorrectly inheriting a generic parameter into a *static* inner
> class. Apparently the latest ecj fixes this. I'm not 100% sure that
> this is the issue that's causing it to be incorrectly reported missing
> - but it seems awfully coincidental that the very same class with that
> issue is the one that you're seeing problems on.

Interesting.

> I'd really love if some Harmony developers would join the japitools
> mailing list if you're interested in the Japi results and how to make
> best use of them. I plan to announce both the lists and the new
> website more prominently when I have a new release to announce as
> well, but seeing as there was active discussion going on right now, I
> didn't want to wait.

oh, didn't even know one existed.

> (Yes, the japitools list is on an FSF server. I really really hope
> that this isn't going to be a political problem for you guys. I
> selected Savannah for hosting japitools before Harmony even existed,
> because it made most sense at the time when Classpath developers were
> the main users. Please don't let that hinder our ability to
> communicate on something that makes sense for all projects concerned)

you kidding? of course I'll join.

--
Stefano.