harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Behaving differently than RI
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2006 15:17:38 GMT

Mike Ringrose wrote:
> Before submitting a bug to JIRA, I was curious to know, how exact should
> Harmony behave when compared to the RI. For example, the code below
> produces
> different results when compared to the RI.
>
>   DecimalFormat f = new DecimalFormat(".1");
>   System.out.println(f.format(17.16));
>
> Harmony outputs 17.2, while the RI outputs 17.1. The reason for the
> difference is that Harmony's underlying implementation is taken from ICU
> which supports options other than what is specified by the RI.
>
> Should this difference be considered a bug?

Yes :)

We will differ from the RI rarely, when we've decided that there is
limited risk to breaking users applications, which we feel is important.
  IOW, we're going to be compatible with the spec, but also compatible
with the breakage in the RI when necessary.

Thanks - file that JIRA (and for bonus points, include a test case.  For
the gold star, include the fix :)

geir