harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject Re: [classlib] Preprocessor - an attempt at [even more] clarity
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 13:40:47 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> [...]
> 2) Master is virtual, dev1..N are concrete, one dev form is Most Favored
> Nation Status so something coherent can be shoved into SVN (Q: is MFNS
> necessary? Nice, yes, but necessary?)

I definitely think that it is necessary (where J2SE5 is the preferred
devtarget), at least during the initial transition to using the
processing tool.

It's (I think) the least intrusive method for starting to slowly add
non-J2SE5 code in the development trunk while letting existing J2SE5
developers continue developing without changing the way they've been
using up to now.

By leaving the preferred devtarget in svn, the hordes of existing J2SE
developers will have the choice of continuing to use simple "svn co/ci"
to work on the code and won't have to learn to use new, yet not fully
tested tools.

It also lets the smaller number of non-J2SE5 developers test the
processing tools and help identify bugs (what!? :-P) and usability
problems without forcing J2SE developers into doing the same.

Maybe, in the longer term, it would make sense to have some kind of
canonical "master" form, and store that in svn, but I am a big fan of
the least disturbance path, when trying to put in place new processes in
an ongoing development project.  :-)

Question: What would be the advantage (in the longer term) of putting,
in the Subversion trunk, source code in non-compilable canonical master
form, instead of compilable preferred devtarget form?  Why is the
existence of "master" so important to you?

Etienne
PS: Tim, Thanks so much for providing clear answers and examples
explaining the approach!