harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Preprocessor - CHECKPOINT
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:49:03 GMT

Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> See, I'm hoping for something a tad different :
>>
>> 1) For building : process() (and revert() for fun) for cmd line use for
>> the build scripts, so we just do
>>
>> 2) For development : IDE plugin where
>>
>>   a) I can tell plugin that my project def/configuration is whatever,
>>      it using metadata in a file, only consider the code that is
>>      defined (or not excluded - whatever is easier)
>>
>>   b) I can tell plugin to look at X, know that I want
>>      "java5" and in situ, it shows me what Z would look like.
>>      I edit this, but I'm really editing X.  And I want to
>>      be sure, I push a button or have a split screen that
>>      shows me what X really looks like.
>>
>>      I can edit in X, or in "virtual Z", or both at the same
>>      time, as I'm just really editing X.
>
> I have nothing against this!  But, we have to make sure:
> 1- we don't lose the "communication" aspect of telling developers about
>  parrallel development.

I'm not sure I understand what problem you are trying to solve there.
We do parallel development on the source base right now - no one ever
does a blocking checkout - it's optimistic.

> 2- we have a robust "language" design; this is best achieved by first
>  building the command-line based tool, then extend it into a full-blown
>  Eclipse plugin... :-)

Right.  The fact it's the same basic transformation code and process.
The fact that someone embedded it in eclipse doesn't change the
fundamental process.

geir