harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject Re: [classlib] Preprocessor - CHECKPOINT
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:41:42 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>[...]
>
> See, I'm hoping for something a tad different :
>
> 1) For building : process() (and revert() for fun) for cmd line use for
> the build scripts, so we just do
>
> 2) For development : IDE plugin where
>
>   a) I can tell plugin that my project def/configuration is whatever,
>      it using metadata in a file, only consider the code that is
>      defined (or not excluded - whatever is easier)
>
>   b) I can tell plugin to look at X, know that I want
>      "java5" and in situ, it shows me what Z would look like.
>      I edit this, but I'm really editing X.  And I want to
>      be sure, I push a button or have a split screen that
>      shows me what X really looks like.
>
>      I can edit in X, or in "virtual Z", or both at the same
>      time, as I'm just really editing X.

I have nothing against this!  But, we have to make sure:
1- we don't lose the "communication" aspect of telling developers about
 parrallel development.
2- we have a robust "language" design; this is best achieved by first
 building the command-line based tool, then extend it into a full-blown
 Eclipse plugin... :-)

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.                             egagnon@j-meg.com