harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject Re: [classlib] Preprocessor - CHECKPOINT
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:36:44 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> To release code, one would apply:
>>
>>  process(X, release-target) => Y
>>
>> Now, it is important to understand that Y, in this case, is NOT suitable
>> for doing any modification as
>>
>>  revert(Y) => Kaboom!  (The tool will simply report that it can't do it;
>>                         it won't crash.)
>
> This is what I thought we were talking about all along - basically
> starting w/ the full source, and pre-process to the "canonical" source
> for the target version.
>
> However, I don't understand why I can't go backwards, modulo some manual
> merging if needed.
>
> For example, if I have X and release-version, I should be able to take a
> Y' and resolve back to X'.  There are problematic cases. [...]

It's the problematic cases I am trying to get entirely rid of "by
design", by having an "exact" transformation process, in contrast with
the usual branch/merge "inexact" process.

Of course, this means that development happens using "complete" source
code (this is either the canonical form or a development target form,
but not a release form).

For applying user-provided patches, then it can still be done the good
old way, using these "little" patches made from release code, but
applying them directly to the canonical or dev-target code, resolving
conflicts manually.  [The smaller the patch, the easier it is to apply
it on files with target-specific code.]

The idea is that manual processing is never required when coding using
canonical and dev-target modes.  No inexact modifications, no difficult
merges, etc.  And, as a bonus, communication between parrallel target
developers.  I know, it's an "unusual" development processing tool, but,
hey, why shouldn't Harmony innovate? :-)

Etienne