harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject Re: [classlib] Preprocessor - CHECKPOINT
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:24:27 GMT
Tim Ellison wrote:
>>   For example, if class X of the main version is not part of j2me,
>>   "process(j2me)" would move this file to a subdirectory ".streams/".
>
> Why would you move the files rather than exclude them?
>
> I was assuming that the processor would generate a whole new source tree
> for each process() target, so that you could work on the original
> checked-out file in it's 'canonicalized form' for Big Java work, or
> process("jme") into a new location and work in the non-canonical form
> your Little Java spectacles on.  [...]

Neat idea!

I would put the following restriction, though:  one should NOT modify
more than one target at a time.

So, you would probably need some way to prevent parallel modifications
in "spectacle views".  One way to achieve this:

process(X,target, destination) =>  Xtarget in a distinct location
 and X files are changed to read-only and some tracking file F tells us
 about Xtarget's location.

So, you would also need:

release(F)  =>  asks all kind of questions (want to lose changes? delete
                files? etc.)

Of course:

revert(F?|destination?) => makes X read-write.

[Hoping this was clear enough...  It's not a very good explanation...]

> Agreed.  It would be interesting to determine the most effective
> location for those markers (measured by reverse mapping accuracy vs.
> number of markers).

I am a fan of accuracy...  Yet, maybe it would be simple enough if a
release was always based on a specific svn URL, then the mark could be
totally exact using svn keywords... :-)

Etienne