harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][PORT] correct API to retrieve processor number
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 11:33:17 GMT

Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> Hi, I am using port_CPUs_number() for GCv5 to get the processor
> number, but my desktop returns one processor with it on Windows
> although my processor is dual-core. (port_CPUs_number is defined in
> port_sysinfo.h).
>
> I think we need more general form of processor number retrieval API
> that can return processor information including that of core and
> hyperthreading.
>
> How do you think?

I chuckled when I first read this, as if people would disagree - "no, I
don't think we want to have an API to return accurate information about
hardware capability".

One thing to keep in mind is to ensure that it's extensible so that
non-intel features can be detected as well.  Easy portability is key.

geir