harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Preprocessor - CHECKPOINT
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 10:03:36 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Nathan Beyer wrote:
>> What's the concern about just using the prescribed branching pattern
>> for SVN? There are some other nice tricks like "externals" for pulling
>> in common files into the working copies of other branches (ala the
>> 'concurrent' code in 'standard' that's pulled into 'enhanced' on
>> checkout).
>
> Even the authors of SVN warn people away from using externals.

Yeah, and a nightmare when trying to 'tag' code -- copying the link to
HEAD is no help.

>> I would propose we at least attempt to go down a path of
>> investigating a branching.
>
> We should consider everything, but I'd personally rather keep as few
> codelines as possible.

Agreed.

>> Regardless, I think we need to settle on our exact requirement first,
>> before spending too much time on looking for a solution. For example,
>> if logging is a real requirement, but everyone agrees it can be done
>> via instrumentation (AspectJ, java.lang.instrument, etc), then are
>> there any other requirements that affect the actual source files
>> internally? If not, then could all of the other requirements be
>> fulfilled by judicious SCM use?
>>
>> So, I would suggest we back up a little and just layout all of the
>> requirements first, so we can make sure everyone's in agreement about
>> the needs.

Nathan is right -- this is hypothetical now, unless (for example) we
start on Java 6 development now.

> Exactly - we need use cases (and it's not clear that the logging
> problems have been resolved w/ aspects yet...)

You're joking, right?  I tease the aspect people that logging is the
only problem that has been solved(*) <g>.  There are lots of references
on how to do that, eg:
  http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/3109831

(*) it's not true though, there are a number of tasks that are
well-suited to using aspects.  However, I would use them judiciously.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)