harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@gmail.com>
Subject [general] JUnit consistency, practices
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 03:26:56 GMT
There is a large amount of inconsistency across the tests and I'd like
to lobby for cleaning them up as much as possible. I'm of the opinion
that test code should be clean, simple and transparent. Here are some
of the more noticeable items that I'd like to cleanup.

* Empty setUp/teardown methods - There are a number of tests that
override setUp and/or teardown methods, but are either empty or just
call the super implementation.

* Singleton suite methods - There are some tests that contain a static
"suite" method that creates a TestSuite and adds one test (the test
class it's declared in). Are there any practical uses for these
methods? TestSuites are for grouping together tests to treat them as
one unit. Since these suites are just one test, it doesn't seem to
provide much value.

* main method launching text runner - There are some tests that
contain "main" methods which run the enclosing test via a JUnit text
runner. Most IDEs have built-in support for JUnit and can launch any
test arbitrarily and Ant can do the same thing. Does anyone launch
tests via these methods?

My proposal would be to clean up these inconsistencies by eliminating
them, but what does everyone else think?

-Nathan