harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][mmtk] location of mmtk.jar that's needed by JIT helper inlining -- did this get resolved?
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 06:34:40 GMT
On 11/28/06, Peter Donald <peter@realityforge.org> wrote:
> On 11/28/06, Nathan Beyer <nbeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Why public domain?  That can actually be problematic from a strict
> > > licensing POV for reasons I don't remember or can't really explain clearly.
> >
> > This is off topic, but that seems counter-intuitive. Wouldn't public
> > domain mean no worries?
>
> With public domain software (which effectively means software that you
> disclaim copyright on) can lead you open to litigation. Partially as a
> result of your inability to disclaim warranty or fitness for intended
> use. So your software goes *boom* then you may be responsible for
> damages due to some implied warranty or even expressed warranty (if
> you said the software was good go use it!).

Interesting. Thanks for turning on that light bulb.

All of the concurrency code we're using is public domain, as defined
by this URL, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain. There's
no mention of warranty in the code or the site we get it from. Is this
bad for the authors? Is this bad for Harmony?

-Nathan