harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: [classlib][pack200] Status update (again)
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2006 00:25:06 GMT
On 11/22/06, Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Alex Blewitt wrote:
> > > I'd also like to get the pack200 code moved out of the archive module
> > > and into its own module, and after applying this patch sounds like a
> > > good time to do this. If someone can help me with the creation of a
> > > new module (e.g. archive-pack200), that would be good.
> >
> > Once the patch is applied I can help with separating the pack200 code. I
> > don't think it requires a separate module, but we can pull it out into a
> > separate source folder in archive, build it with source 1.4 flags, and
> > create a target to produce a separate jar etc.
>
> It would make my life much easier if it were a separate module, and it
> would be much easier to generate patches for the code (which really
> have sucked up until now) if it were. I'm developing on Mac OS X, and
> it doesn't have a J9, so I'm developing the pack200 code against the
> Mac OS X 10.4 Java libraries. In order to do this, I have to
> completely kill the Harmony Manifest.MF, as well as hand-editing the
> .svn entries files to remove traces of java/util/archive and others.

Why would you need to do anything to the SVN meta files (.svn)? DRLVM
doesn't run on MacOS either, so how do you verify your code builds and
test run within the Harmony codebase?

Have you tried just doing an SVN export (no meta files) delete what
you want to ignore, work on what you want to work on in the IDE of
choice. Once you're ready for a update, check out/update the latest
archive module code, in a separate folder, do a manual merge/overlay.
Any new files/folders you'd do an 'svn add' and anything that needs to
be deleted you'd do an 'svn del'. Then run the Harmony builds to
verify your working copy is as expected. Once you're set, run an 'svn
diff'.

-Nathan