harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][swing] Serialization of Swing classes
Date Sat, 11 Nov 2006 04:48:14 GMT
If there's no need for serialization compatability between VMs and
versions of a VM, then is there any harm in adding explicit
serialVersionUID fields?

On 11/10/06, Ivanov, Alexey A <alexey.a.ivanov@intel.com> wrote:
> Nathan, all,
>
> You shouldn't add explicit serialVersionUID because Sun explicitly states that serialized
form of Swing classes maybe incompatible with future Swing releases. And there's no description
of serialized form for any Swing class.

> I'm pretty sure Harmony is not compatible with Sun classes with regard to serialized
from of Swing classes. And new fields can be added to a class or removed, which will break
the serialized form.

> See the Warning in JTree JavaDoc: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/swing/JTree.html
>
> The serialVersionUID declarations were intentionally missed.
>
> Regards,
> Alexey.
>

> P.S. Thanks for cleaning up the code to use parameterized types where possible.
> I've looked through j.s.BasicSwingTestCase and restricted the type parameter, as well
as refactored the code accessing Swing components so that it always runs on the Event Dispatch
Thread. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-2078.