harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Zakharov" <alexei.zakha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] JUnit consistency, practices
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:08:16 GMT
Hi,

> * Empty setUp/teardown methods

+1

> * Singleton suite methods - There are some tests that contain a static
> "suite" method that creates a TestSuite and adds one test (the test
> class it's declared in). Are there any practical uses for these
> methods? TestSuites are for grouping together tests to treat them as
> one unit. Since these suites are just one test, it doesn't seem to
> provide much value.

Well, suite() method is very useful when you are trying to find the
reason of the individual test method failure. It is simpler to debug
(add debug logs for example) to a single code path rather than to run
through 60 tests methods before you reach the desired break point. If
you have the suite() method all you need is just to add the following
line:
suite.addTest(new MyTest("testReallyHotIssue"));
So I would suggest to leave suites as it is for now.

> * main method launching text runner

I'm neutral here. We (probably) can always run
 java junit.textui.TestRunner MyClass
instead of
java MyClass.

Thanks,