harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Oleg Khaschansky" <oleg.v.khaschan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][awt] X11 libs
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:21:06 GMT
> No, Sun links against X11 and ALSA and doesn't use dlopen. It doesn't
> seem to be a problem for anyone. Why can't we?
Yes, I think we can do this with X11, win32 API, etc. But we need to
have the right set of headers and stublibs to build the wrappers then.
This means that if you don't have X11 you can't build awt.

> It is dynamic linking. I just don't like it that we have to *guess* the
> library name. It should be as few such cases as possible. Or we'll get
> the bug reports like in your URL.
Yes, ld approach is better from this POW. But transition to it could
be a bit more complicated then adding some heuristics to the existing
"dlopen" code.

> I think that distribution integrators may just add opengl package as a
> dependency to harmony package, so it will be installed if harmony is
> installed.
The majority of OpenGL calls could be done using ld scheme. The rest
are video driver specific extensions. They should be called using
wgl/glxGetProcAddress anyway.