harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Kuksenko" <sergey.kukse...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [performance] a few early benchmarks
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:57:20 GMT

> >> It would be useful to understand what SPECjbb is actually testing - can
> >> someone describe it?
> >

> > First of all I wish to cite spec.org:
> > *--------------------*
> > *SPECjbb2005 (Java Server Benchmark)* is SPEC's benchmark for evaluating
> > the
> > performance of server side Java. SPECjbb2005 evaluates the performance
> of
> > server side Java by emulating a three-tier client/server system (with
> > emphasis on the middle tier). The benchmark exercises the
> > implementations of
> > the JVM (Java Virtual Machine), JIT (Just-In-Time) compiler, garbage
> > collection, threads and some aspects of the operating system.
>
> No I/O?  Concurrency?

No.

> It also
> > measures the performance of CPUs, caches, memory hierarchy and the
> > scalability of shared memory processors (SMPs). SPECjbb2005 provides a
> new
> > enhanced workload, implemented in a more object-oriented manner to
> reflect
> > how real-world applications are designed and introduces new features
> > such as
> > XML processing and BigDecimal computations to make the benchmark a more
> > realistic reflection of today's applications.
>
> Any I/O?
>
> > SPECjbb2005 Benchmark Highlights
> >
> >   - Emulates a 3-tier system, the most common type of server-side Java
> >   application today.
> >   - Business logic and object manipulation, the work of the middle tier,
> >   predominate.
> >   - Clients are replaced by driver threads, database storage by binary
> >   trees of objects.
>
> That means the clients are in the same VM.  No sockets or such?

You are right.
No sockets, the clients are in the same VM.

>   - Increasing amounts of workload are applied, providing a graphical
> >   view of scalability.
> >
> > -------------------------------------------<end of citation>
> >
> > Really, SPECjbb emulates a set of transactions to several warehouses
> like
> > "order something, payment, stocks, etc.."
> >
> > SPECjbb measures performance sequentially on 1,2,3,.... threads that
> allows
> > to evaluate scalability.
>
> without I/O

yes.

> > Also I may comment some details:
> >
> > - SPECjbb doesn't use any database. It's emulated using java.util API.
> Such
> > implementation measures pure Java environment.
>
> Ah.  No I/O
>

> > - For example - java.math.BigDecimal class is de facto standard
> > representation for financial calculations. Moreover, JDBC maps DECIMAL
> > (SQL)
> > data to BigDecimal class. SPECjbb  uses BigDecimal extensively.
> >
> > - Also SPECjbb uses XML processing for emulation logging like it may be
> > done
> > in real enterprise system.
>
> Do you have an idea of what %-age of workload processing in the test
> suite is XML?

Below is SUN's (server) distribution on SPECjbb2005 shown using profiler.
Garbage collection impact was not included into the data.
Also the distribution below is shown accurately to methods inlining.

impact

spec.jbb.* classes

62.6%

java.lang.* classes