harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Tony Wu" <wuyue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni][charset]Strange behavior of UnicodeBig
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 07:53:53 GMT
A bad news, ICU team refused to support UnicodeBig because it is not
available in nio.

A good news is that I realize there is a smooth way to support these
charsets. I tried to implement a SPI to accept the name "UnicodeBig"
and it worked. We could support any other charsets and fix the bug
which ICU team hesitated to do this way.  I think it also brings us
the extensibility, do you have any concern about implementing a
harmony SPI? I'll go on if no one objects.

> On 10/19/06, Tony Wu <wuyuehao@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think to support UnicodeBig in nio is not a bug but a feature. And
> > the key point is how can I get UnicodeBig supportted in IO/Lang?
>

> If ICU/NIO supports "UnicodeBig", wouldn't IO/LANG support "UnicodeBig"  as
> well?

> > > Hey Tony, please keep in mind that following code[1] should print false
> > and
> > > throw an UnsupportedCharsetException. If ICU provides "UnicodeBig"
> > support,
> > > does it mean harmony nio also support "UnicodeBig"?
> > >
> > > [1]
> > > System.out.println(Charset.isSupported("UnicodeBig"));
> > > Charset.forName("UncodeBig");

> > around[2]?

> > wrap
> > 0xFF at

> > project.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/icu/source/data/mappings/convrtrs.txt?view=co

> > order,

> > encoding of

> > the
> > we

> [...]