harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Disher" <jmdis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][threading] Should hythread_monitor_init() aquire the monitor?
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:30:44 GMT
No, this is a different mechanism.  Signal handler chaining and native to
port signal number mappings are both done on the thread which receives the
signal.  If that thread is the one which was in a select, then it has
already been interrupted to run the master handler.

My guess as to why you don't see these interruptions in the Harmony port
calls when running with J9 is that, for the most part, our internal signals
are synchronous so they are handled on the thread which causes them.  Even
when we use asynchronous signals, we are usually using pthread_kill to send
them to specific threads which we know to be blocked in an operation which
is allowed to be interrupted (FYI:  these are not in port, hence why it
doesn't already have logic for this).

If you really don't want to be interrupted by an asynchronous signal during
some operation, the only way may be to change the per-thread signal mask for
the duration of the uninterruptable code path.  At least then you would
receive the signal at a deterministic point (the resetting of the signal
mask) or it would be sent to another thread.

Even that seems like a heavier operation than just allowing the call to be
interrupted and deciding if you needed to handle the interruption or just
resume (complications involving remaining timeout aside - they may make it
easier to mask).

Does that answer your question?
Jeff.