harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jvmti][testing] I want to add JVMTI tests to drlvm commit checks
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:02:55 GMT
On Thursday 02 November 2006 23:24 Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> That's an understatement.  Don't feel bad.  I've never seen anything
> like it before.  The idea of generating ant scripts on teh fly is very
> unconventional.

> You don't have enough cuts and bruises from working with the DRLVM build :)

Ok I think I've come up with a reasonable compromise. I still used the whole
system of converting XML and all the stuff. It does quite a lot of things in
setup and init targets and using <select> is convenient. I don't know how to
untangle all of the setup and not do a lot of duplication in ant scripting
which I am not big expert in.

But I managed to cut away the loop over components looking at how "test"
target in build.xml is written. I've also converted smoke.test target to the
same way because both jvmti and smoke tests are meant for a whole VM, not
some component of it. This also made a weird bug go away when of smoke tests
were built and run in some random subdirectory of "semis" instead of being
in "vm" when they were ran separately as "build smoke.test".

Tests should be in their own subdirectories (main test inclusion/exclusion
loop is done over them), main Java class for application has to be equal to
have package and name equal to its subdirectory. Otherwise the build system
won't know what to run. Other files may have any kind of names.

I wrote one simple JVMTI test to start the suite. Other tests which I've
experimented with I cannot submit because I didn't write them. I think
they'll appear later from JIRAs like one in HARMONY-2143 which were submitted
to ASF. Take a look at HARMONY-2151 and say what you think. If I don't get
much opposition I'll commit the patch on this weekend.

Don't shoot me. Writing even that much of Ant took a lot of time, beer and
hair on my head. I said I am not an ant guru, didn't I?