harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [doc]too many building instructions?
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:52:08 GMT
Nadezhda,

thanks for a bunch of good points! I find the number of (sometimes
contradicting) building howtos misleading too.

On the 0x205 day of Apache Harmony Nadezhda Morozova wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've had a strange impression just now that we have too many building
> instructions for Harmony sources:
>
> [1]
> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/build_cla
> sslib.html Building Class Library only

This one is outdated, I would encourage to use [2] instead.

> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_contributors.html
>
> [3] http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_users.html - building
> instructions for the whole bundle (VM + Classlib), in a short and
> detailed versions; the detailed version (for contributors) has specifics
> for building classlib and vm in addition to common steps

[2] is not about building, just unpacking a snapshot and running.

oh, I see a minor bug there:
It says:
    you will need to use the tar program as follows :
    tar -tzf latest-harmony-jre-linux.tar.gz
Should be:
    you will need to use the tar program as follows :
    tar xzf latest-harmony-jre-linux.tar.gz

> [4] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/FrontPage - startup Wiki page that
> has a link to [1], a placeholder for a future page
> BuildingHintsForClasslib and VMBuildTroubleshooting. The last two pages
> seem to have similar intentions - show specifics/typical errors when
> building code.
>
> [5] READMEs for Classlib and for VM, with links to some of the sources
> above or repetition of these sources.
>

> Does this not seem like writing about actually the same thing in many
> places? My suggestion on improving this would be:
>
> 1.	Remove [1], migrate unique bits (not repeated elsewhere) to [2]
> or [3] as fits better.

agreed. Mostly to [2], I see no evidence of moving to [3]

> 2.	Edit [4] to replace the BuildingInstructions link from [1] to
> [2], so that instructions for both classlib and vm are retrievable.
>
> 3.	Place a More Details link at [3] to [2], work to minimize
> repetition between these.
> 4.	Name BuildingHintsForClasslib and VMBuildTroubleshooting in a
> similar way to show that they are about the same thing.

I am glad to "hear" that! Are you volunteering? :)

> I am sorry if this all sounds confusing or if I missed/misunderstood
> some things. Just trying to keep things in a minimal number of places -
> for easier maintenance and browsing.

It does not sound confusing. TBD, IMHO! I'd say even ASAP. Because too
often I get emails with "how do I build here and there? Why is
Harmony's website so misleading?".

Thanks for doing great job at organizing the docs!