harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] define pre-commit testing configs to gain the stability
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:16:46 GMT
On the 0x201 day of Apache Harmony Weldon Washburn wrote:

> > Weldon Washburn wrote:

> > > gcc 3.4.5.  If its a bug, its unlikely we will fix gcc or wait for gcc
> > > to be
> > > fixed.
>

> > Have you tried it on another version?
> > No I have not tried it on another version.  If Mike Ringrose is correct
> > about the ISO spec, the basic problem is that MSVC compiler is not ISO
> > compliant.  I have hit this specific problem multiple times over the years.
> > That is, code developed on windows laptop w/o a blank new line at the end
> > will not compile on gcc.
>

> No I have not tried it on another version.  If Mike Ringrose is correct
> about the ISO spec, the basic problem is that MSVC compiler is not ISO
> compliant.  I have hit this specific problem multiple times over the years.
> That is, code developed on windows laptop w/o a blank new line at the end
> will not compile on gcc.
>
> The real issue is that there are a bunch of "minor" incompatibilities
> between MSVC and gcc.  I would not recommend holding one's breath waiting
> for them to go away.  My approach to the above is to simply test on both
> linux and windows before committing.

+1 for checking on both win&lin as a pre-commit (for C/C++). I recall
many incompatibilities between the two compilers, so, checking both
platforms is less of a burden than it is a benefit.

Checking on various toolchains (gcc version, libc, binutils) seems not
so obviously helpful to me. Because it is a heavy check, not giving
much in terms of bug isolation.

There are various real-life situations, when a toolchain version can
influence on stability, but I think, they are not so common and are
not worth the effort of checking before each commit.

On compilation problems: let's take a more restrictive GCC (4.1?) and
that would cook all compilation for us on Linux.