harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] POLL : supported platforms
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:39:12 GMT
On the 0x206 day of Apache Harmony Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> Mikhail,
> The situation is possible with some Linux clones.
> And if we have such a situation I propose to take into account if we have a
> commiter/volunteer to check this platform.
> If we have a volunteer  - we support it.
>
> Another question is: what if volunteer is gone and no one supports the
> platform? Will we claim that Harmony no longer supports the platform?

BTW, I do not like the term "support". It is too overloaded)

General recipe: if somebody needs a platform which has Harmony broken,
we fix it. We have priorities to fix. And we are now preparing the
"critical platforms list", which should be *small enough* (<7),
because it would be top-priority to fix them. In this case only a lot
of volunteers gone can uncover the situation like you describe.

If we want a *large enough* list with "all good platforms we want to
work on", let's make the list just before each release. Until then,
we can "support" (i.e. fix the code) based on as-needed and priority
considerations. It would be much easier and would not require us to
maintain lists of platforms here and there.