harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jit] Seems like too many classes loaded
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:31:16 GMT
On the 0x20B day of Apache Harmony Armand Navabi wrote:
> I am trying to become more familiar with the jit code.  I ran the
> following to see what all was compiled when running Hello World.
> "java -Xtrace:compile Hello".  I was very surprised to see the number of
> methods that seem to be loaded.  I think there are about 1079 methods
> that get compiled for Hello World.
>
> Does harmony just load all the classes in the classlib and compile every
> method?  If not, then why would there be so many methods compiled for a
> simple hello world program?

my 2c:
first time methods are compiled "just before execution". So, you have
to execute a method in your app to see it compiled.

> Right now I am trying to write a simple profiling tool that counts the
> number of certain instructions in a program for a given input (i.e. I
> want to run the program, and for every instruction that ends up running,
> collect information).  So, since it seems that the jit not only compiles
> every instruction in the program (not only the ones that end up
> running), but also a bunch of other classes, I thought perhaps I would
> be more interested in the interpreter.

Do you mean bytecode instructions? or CPU instructions?  For bytecode
you better use the interpreter. For IA-32 we have a special profiling
utility in JIT CG ("iprof") that allows to count how many instructions
of a certain kind were executed, what are the hottest basicblocks,
etc. Feel free to ask on "iprof" in the mailing list. (I think, "we
should document this" :P, but it is not the first priority)