harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] “java.compiler” property
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 06:33:27 GMT
2006/10/17, Mikhail Fursov <mike.fursov@gmail.com>:
> On 10/17/06, Pavel Pervov <pmcfirst@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Mikhail,
> >
> > EM, as I see it, is interchangeable component. Should we require defining
> > "
> > java.compiler" for interpreted mode from all EMs?
>

> EM does not know the semantic of options it adds to the system properties.
> See client.emconf file to see how options are passed to JIT and EM knows
> nothing about their meaning.
> EM configuration is very convenient place to put all options that affect the
> current execution mode. And if you want to have meaningful "java.compiler"
> option a EM configuration file is the only place.
>
> My idea is to initialize "java.compiler" to some default value ("none"?) in
> > VM, and then overwrite it with actual value wherever actual information is
> > available (in EM in our case).
>

> EM does not override system options that are already set. Such a behaviour
> allows to  make cmd-line option to have higher priority then those in EM
> configuration file. I would vote to keep the behaviour.

This behaviour is fairly reasonable and I agree we should keep it. To
solve Pavel's concerns, VM could set this property after EM init if
needed. Though this might feel like a hack, this is a matter of when
and how VM initializes Java properties (aka "public" in a recent
thread) with default values. Seemingly default Java properties are not
significant for components loading and should be set after all
components init, no overriding.