harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jvmti][testing] I want to add JVMTI tests to drlvm commit checks
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:22:55 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>> I don't want to create a huge discussion out of it like most [testing]
>> discussions become. Just want to know your arguments to create one
>> more tests category.
>
> Because the current frameworks are... wacky.  I can't turn off smoke
> tests without *recompiling* the test.  The c-unit test rig is kinda
> cool, but inappropriate.  Maybe kernel could be used.

Ok I see your point. I'll try to create my own tests building and
running category, maybe if it is good enough we'll transfer smoke tests
to it in the future.

> it sounds like you just want to launch a set of conventional junit tests
> with a special invocation of java to get the agent running, right?

Hmm I didn't think of using junit before your suggestion. Now that I
think of it, it can probably work for me. It appears that it is possible
to pass special <vmarg/> to <junit> task. I'll give it a try.

>> Now that I looked at the smoke tests build more closely and found a
>> paths problem which I don't know how to fix, I am also inclined to
>> make my own build script to have it separated. <joke>I would at least
>> know how it works and own this secret like someone who wrote smoke
>> build script does.</joke>
>
> That's what I was hoping to avoid.  Something conventional.  JUnit or
> TestNG (TestNG! TestNG!), and a separate ant script invoked from main
> script.

Hmm I am not familiar with TestNG at all. I'll try junit first.