harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][test]Exclude some tests from "build test" target, make 'build test' pass
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:35:00 GMT
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>> 2) kernel
>> *** java.lang.ClasssGenericsTest and
>> *** java.lang.ClassGenericsTest4 fail because of timeout, so I  increase
>> timeout in kernel.test.xml
>
> These tests work for me on Windows. But on Linux these tests fail with lost of
> different exceptions:
>
> For java.lang.ClassGenericsTest:
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java.lang.ClassGenericsTest$Mc009^Z^Z^Z
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/ClassGenericsTest$Mc007^Z
> java.lang.TypeNotPresentException: Type
> java.lang.ClassGenericsTest$Mc009\0d5\0b6\0db\080\0db\0b1 not present
>
> For java.lang.ClassGenericsTest4:
>
> Some NPEs from unobvious sources. I've attached two test reports to this
> email. Anyways, it looks like timeout is not the case for these tests
> failures.

Ok I think I've found the cause of problems with these two tests on
Linux which I had yesterday. On Gentoo I have russian locale set
"ru_RU.KOI8-R" while on all other Linux installations it appears there
are various combinations of *.UTF-8 locales (usually "en_US.UTF-8", but
I found "en_AU.UTF-8" on oner server).

I experimented a bit with this stuff and found out that these tests work
ok when locale is some sort of UTF-8 one, including ru_RU.UTF-8 one.

The result of test run is actually affected by locale set at compilation
time, not the one set at the subsequent test runs. When locale at
compile time is set to *.UTF-8, then test run is successful on any
locale set after it. If locale is set to something simple like "C" (!)
or "ru_RU.KOI8-R" at compile time then test run fails no matter what
locale is set when tests are running.

I wonder what we should blame here, compiler, VM, classlib or the tests?