harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][gc] TLS access from GC: a proposal to refactor the code
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:05:45 GMT
Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Just one little note from me... AFAIK Window and Linux have limitation
> on the number of TLS slots which can be allocated for any particular
> thread. I believe here is strong (probably performance) reasons for
> doing so. It can be a problem to implement arbitrary size TLS which
> seems to be required in case we want to allocate memory for keeping
> whole structures in it.

Currently TM provides this service by using just *1* OS-level TLS slot.
The keys are allocated from a hythread_t structure:

thread/src/thread_private.h
   166  typedef struct HyThread {

   312      /**
   313       * Array representing thread local storage
   314       */
   315      void *thread_local_storage[10];

So, it seems reasonable to use 3 of them for GC, 1 for VM and 1 for JIT.