harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [dlrvm] ClassCircularityError in recursive compilation (Was: Re: [drlvm] smoke test : gc PhantomReferenceQueueTest is really unstable)
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:20:59 GMT
Pavel Afremov wrote:
> gc.Finalizer and gc PhantomReferenceQueueTest are synthetic test. And can't
> be called "normal" (do code review, if you doubt, please). But this test
> isn't source of the circularity error. The error can happen for usual
> application too. The CL an SM tests just show that source of fake
> circularity error exists. It's it.

I reserve my right to have a different opinion on this topic.

> I think, this fake error can happen in usual applications. But it can be
> masked here or be covered by other issues...

I think that running java from vm_hint_finalize() provides a way for spurious ClassCircularityError
to affect many applications, and I consider recursion in class loader as highly
unlikely to encounter in real application.
Accordingly, I think that fixing vm_hint_finalize() will fix
most applications without introducing complexities of lazy class resolution in JIT.

I would like to request for comments on a possible way of getting rid
of java execution from vm_hint_finalize(). The initial patch is attached to HARMONY-1952.