harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [dlrvm] ClassCircularityError in recursive compilation (Was: Re: [drlvm] smoke test : gc PhantomReferenceQueueTest is really unstable)
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:15:08 GMT
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> Yes the test is synthetic. But the whole problem arose from the currently
> excluded smoke tests gc.PhantomReferenceQueueTest and gc.Finalizer. They too
> are synthetic but may be an example of another place where this problem
> appears.
>
> The idea to write user code tests was just to show that finalizers
> implementation is not the one to be blamed and the problem is reproducible on
> pure user code applications, not to show that this problem is so rare no one
> in right mind would ever write an application to encounter it :)

Gregory,

the problem as I see it is that gc.Finalizer and gc.PhantomReferenceQueueTest
are *normal* test cases in the sense that they exercise finalizable objects
and phantom references in *exactly* the same way as an application would.

And Pavel's synthetic tests (HARMONY-1945) do something allowed by the spec, but entirely
uncommon for an application -- recursive call from a classloader to the application.