harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Astapchuk <alex.astapc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dlrvm] ClassCircularityError in recursive compilation (Was: Re: [drlvm] smoke test : gc PhantomReferenceQueueTest is really unstable)
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:50:05 GMT
Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> Pavel, thanks
> SUN passes both tests (with -Xcomp too), BEA(1.5) crashes as
> expected.Our VM
> throws ClassCircularityError with both compilers and passes with
> interpreter.
> IMO we must add lazy resolution to both compilers in future. The reason: to

Hmm... this particular 'must' is questionable.
What I saw in the tests, is a simple infinite recursion.
One can alway do something similar with any JDK.

> be able to run everything SUN runs.
> The question is when?
> My answer: H1 2007.
>
> Other opinions?

Lazy resolution is not a silver bullet, and it's even a question whether
it will help in these tests.

If Bea passes the test, then I presume there are no such tests in TCK,
so this will not affect [possible further] compatibility testing.

As the behavior does not affect any real app as well  - again, as the
Bea shows - then I propose to postpone the fixing this 'bug'.

Just to avoid spending much efforts just to make a weird synthetic test
pass. We may revisit the test later, when we'll have more resources
and/or much shorter TODO list.

--
Thanks,
   Alex