harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [general] supported platforms
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:02:17 GMT
>> Anyway, my point is that supported platform is not something that we
>> non-committers
>> can decide on.
>
> I don't agree. "people" that support platforms become "committers" that
> support platforms, and the opinions of non-committers is always
> important.  A project that exists for the pleasure of it's committers
> only is not really our goal in an Apache project.

I think you misunderstood me. I agree with importance of non-committers
contribution to the project.
My point is we can't say that the platform is "supported" until there
exist committer who regularly checks and promptly commits fixes for that platform.

That's why it is useless to make the list of platforms that someone wants
to be supported.

It is only actual participation that counts.
If someone wants to have a platform X supported, then it will take that person
to constantly submit fixes for that platform, earn committership,
and keep the platform X running by fixing breakages promptly.
And only then we will be able to say that platform X is supported.

>> P.S. As of the poll, the platforms I have access to and checking
>> occasionally are
>>
>> Windows/i686 XP
>> Linux/i686 SUSE 9 (planning upgrade to SUSE10 soon)
>> Linux/x86_64 SUSE 9 (planning upgrade to SUSE10 soon)
>
> Thanks.  We need a clear set of defn's.  What is "i686" to you?

Pentium M or Pentium 4 or anything newer.
It is officially called "Intel Architecture" or ia32 here,
but 'uname -m' returns i686.