harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] -verbose option does nothing
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:12:12 GMT
Jean-frederic Clere wrote:
> Mikhail Fursov wrote:
>> Do you expect an output like RI does:
>> [Opened C:\tools\sun1.5.0\jre\lib\rt.jar]
>> [Opened C:\tools\sun1.5.0\jre\lib\charsets.jar]
>> [Loaded java.lang.Object from C:\tools\sun1.5.0\jre\lib\rt.jar]
>> [Loaded java.io.Serializable from C:\tools\sun1.5.0\jre\lib\rt.jar]
>> [Loaded java.lang.Comparable from C:\tools\sun1.5.0\jre\lib\rt.jar]
>> Should we be compatible with it by default?
> If we have a -verbose option, yes.  It is very helpfull to know which
> classes and in which order they are loaded.
>> I know that there are several -verbose sub-options, like -verbose:em
>> + we have -Xtrace option for more detailed info. Try -Xtrace,
>> -Xtrace:verifier, -Xtrace:classloader, -Xtrace:gc.
> Xtrace:classloader contains what I am looking for it is too verbose.

The intention of -verbose flag was to provide the same information as RI
does. The fact that '-verbose' does not show anything, is a bug.
Technically, -verbose is equivalent to '-verbose:jni -verbose:gc -verbose:class'.
-verbose:class is also accepted.
In fact, -verbose:xyz will be accepted too, but will not produce any output
unless someone puts INFO2("xyz", "some message") calls into DRLVM sources.

I suspect that no output may be caused by missing flush() call in the
logger call.

-Xtrace:classloader is the developer-oriented debugging output,
as is -Xlog:classloader (trace is more verbose).
These flags are not available in the release build of DRLVM.
-Xtrace:xyz and -Xlog:xyz are also general and correspond
to TRACE2("xyz", "") and LOG2("xyz", "") calls respectively.