harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][build]Stale object files are linked to DRLVM
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:24:22 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> make?

Salikh Zakirov wrote:
>> I know you are teasing (^_-)

>> Geir replied:
> I'm actually not.  Were there an additional 24 hours in a day....  There
> is a whole list of reasons why I'm not a fan of the current system,
> including maintainability as well as performance.  (Building classlib
> takes far less time that DRLVM on windows, for reasons I find utterly
> perplexing...)

Well, performance-wise, using 'make' will not make DRLVM build any faster,
mainly because it is hard (if at all possible) to take advantage of
compile-many-cpp-files-by-single-compiler-command mode available
in MSVC and Intel compilers.

I completely agree on the maintainability side.

>> I can easily propose a couple of ways to use make
>> for building DRLVM (i.e. running C++ compiler and linker). The last
>> thing I played
>> with was using shell-script for generating Makefiles using the source
>> file list.
>
> Well, cool :)  We have the ability to learn from and improve upon
> classlib how we want to  try and handle platforms correctly...

Actually, I do not think I would want to take classlib's make system
as the base, because it does not satisfy two requirements I personally
consider important:

* concentrate the build configuration in one place
* automatically deduce object files lists by finding .cpp files

And, I would rather add GNU Make (Cygwin or Mingw) to the required build tools,
than maintain two copies of make files.