harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Luht" <anton.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Recognizing lock objects
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 11:59:02 GMT
Hello,

Maybe it's better to mark 'locking' objects with something like
//$LOCK-1$ ? New Object() can be created for many purposes - I'm not
sure what percent is used for locks - 10 or 90.

Another suggestion: use

new Object() {
   public String toString() {
         return "something that contains some locking keyword";
   }
}

> BTW, as I go through the code looking at the occurrences of 'new
> Object()' and determining if they are used simply for their locks, I
> figured we also need a way to record the check has been done.
>
> So, if there is a 'new Object()' that is not simply a lock object (and
> therefore named as we agreed) I'll mark it on the same line as
> // $NON-LOCK-1$ so we can easily grep for divergences from the pattern.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> > Another variant is to use anonymous class without the name:
> >    Object lock = new Object(){};
> >
> > But the name by itself (RepositionLock) serves like a comment.

> >>     private class RepositionLock {}
> >>     private Object repositionLock = new RepositionLock();
> >>

> --
>
> Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
> IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Regards,