harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ilya Okomin" <ilya.oko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HARMONY-1752: patch review
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 07:20:13 GMT

> On 10/19/06, Fedotov, Alexei A <alexei.a.fedotov@intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Ilya,
> >

> > I really like your patch from
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-1752. Let me participate in
> > a way I'm able to.
> >

> > I cannot say why calling free(send_buf) when send_buf == NULL makes me
> > feel a bit uncomfortable.
>

> It's safe to free NULL pointer.
>
> I also prefer a descriptive name for a label
> > cleanup1 (eg cleanup_buf).

Alexei, you are right. I was thinking about 'cleanup_all' but for some
inexplicable reasons forgot to rename it :)

> > I tried to track that guy who used cleanup labels in his C code.
>

> Let the author speak for himself, but I think it's ok. It's a frequentely
> used error handling sytle in C programming. There's a logical problem in
> OSNetworkSystemWin32.c, the cleanup may free an invalid pointer
> fdset_read.
> But I perfer to add NULL initiliazation when declaring fdset_read, say,
> fd_set * fdset_read = NULL;
>
> comments?

Thanks, Andrew, IMO it is more convenient way that I've suggested. The
problem was really that existed code was trying to free fdset_read, that
wasn't NULL (we went to the 'cleanup' label before fdset_read
initialization).
I'll update patch for H-1752.

Regards, Ilya.

> modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/linux/OSNetworkSystemLinux.c:
> >
> > The Linux version seems to contain exactly the same problem as you fix
> > in modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/windows/OSNetworkSystemWin32.c
> >

> > modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/shared/luniglob.c
> >
> > cleanup:
> >
> >    if (props) {
> >
> >        properties_free(PORTLIB, props);
> >
> >    }
> >
> >    if (bootDirectory) {
> >
> >        hymem_free_memory(bootDirectory);
> >
> >    }
> >
> > The first "if" always fails if we come here using goto - we can put the
> > label after the first if. I suggest replacing the second if with
> > assert(!bootDirectory)
> >

> > modules/archive/src/main/native/archive/shared/jarfile.c:
> >
> > zip_freeZipEntry is not called on some paths - is it a memory leak?
> >

> > modules/luni/src/main/native/launcher/shared/main.c
> >
> > if (vm_args.options)
> >
> >    {
> >
> >      hymem_free_memory (vm_args.options);
> >
> >    }
> >
> > Should we put here assert(!vm_args.options)?
> >

> > With best regards,
> > Alexei Fedotov,
> > Intel Java & XML Engineering
> >

> --